We collaborate with you to develop a customized program for your community.
- Our team is trained to work with babies to revered elders. Together we have over half a century of experience on our team! We even see babies tell and sequence stories when dramatic techniques are used.
- We engage youth of all ages with arts integration to support gaps in learning caused by virtual schooling. Our student-centered creative process invites young people to question, research and analyze as they engage their imaginations!
- We collaborate with teens and optimize their potential as leaders and change-makers in their community.
- We enrich the lives of elders with storytelling and theatre-making. It's never too late to embark of the dream of being an actor!
Step 1: Select a format that feels right for your community. Not sure if you want to commit? We invite you to give it a try with a free 15-minute session.
- IN PERSON: This is where Yard Dramas got its start. Going outdoors boosts our health. Community engagement brings us joy. Stories connect us. Imagination creates transformation. We will meet you (and your friends) safely distant and masked in a public or private yard.
- VIRTUAL: We recognize that each of us has a different health and home situation and a different level of comfort with social engagement right now. This is why we brought the virtual format to our programming! Want a bedtime story by an actor or puppeteer? Need a quick creative strategy between virtual classes? Want to meet with or play with someone outside of your home? We've got you!
- DIY CONSULTATION: Let's get on the phone or zoom so that we can strategize all the ways you can increase creativity and explore artistry in your home (or in your virtual classroom). We work with parents, teachers, older adults, people living alone, those who say "I'm not creative", those who know their creative. Yes, a DIY consultation is for everyone! We truly believe that a Teaching Artist should be an imagineer partner of the creative journey or exploration happening in every home, school and community!
STEP 2: Plan a tailored program!
You’ll complete a brief survey and/or schedule a planning session so that we can tailor the drama(s) to your household/community interests, needs and goals.
STEP 3: Schedule your date(s)!
One workshop, 8 sessions or an entire school year! Together we'll decide what you need to accomplish the goals. We are committed to partnering with you for every step of your journey.
STEP 4: We play! We collaborate! We create! We transform!
Yard Dramas are accessible to everyone regardless of their financial resources and circumstances. Our fees recognize differences in wealth, income and privilege within our community and simultaneously keep us, teaching artists in the community, employed. This is a delicate balance and it requires all of us re-setting and re-defining our values.
Historically, teaching artists have been undervalued. We believe we bring value to the community. Check out the Teaching Artist Guild's Pay Calculator. We understand that you may not be able to meet the suggested fees. Your awareness alone will move the field of teaching artistry forward, and help our society recognize pay equity as a social justice issue.
For Households: We believe every household should have a teaching artist as a partner for their creative process journey. We are committed to our values and will not turn anyone away.
Community Partners: Whether a school, library, neighborhood pod, community center, senior center, business or municipality - we are eager to collaborate with the entire community!
Begin a conversation and let's see where it takes us.